Ms Condo Board Reform: Condo Boards, Property Management Companies, and Law Firms.
Based in Massachusetts, Ms Condo Board Reform opines on all matters CONDO.
Editor: "Ms CBR IS A Weapon of Massive LIE Detection."
TRUTH MATTERS - INTIMIDATION DOESN'T
- "The beginning of HOA legislative reform and improved governance thus begins with dispelling the belief that the CAI represents home owners; curtailing the CAI’s influence with our Government agencies, media, and legislators."
- Who or What is The Community Association Institute? (CAI) by Stan Hrincevich
Ms Condo Board Reform: "We must continue to expose this group of charlatans (CAI) for what they are."
- Will the Real CAI Standup: It's Contradictory Beliefs, Pronouncements, and Goals
by George K. Staropoli
Ms Condo Board Reform: "This article is near perfection, both for its dead on analysis and the well researched supporting documentation."
- BEWARE OF THE LEOPARD: Condo Board Reform->Condo Owner Bill of Rights in Digital World - Successfully Obtaining Business and Financial Information
- (In GERMAN) - Louise, Queen of Hearts - Biography of iconoclastic Queen Louise of Prussia (1776-1810) and her efforts to protect her people from Napoleon's aggression. Interesting and beautiful historical video. A love story. (51:01) See below.
- Ms Condo Board Reform: Condo Boards, Property Management Companies, and Law Firms - Massachusetts
1. A favorite Ms CBR quote is from William Wallace and is represented in the movie Braveheart :
"Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you'll live ... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all of that from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take away our lives, but they'll never take our freedom."
2. Editor: Another fierce fighter, Boudicca, also known as Boadicea and in Welsh as Buddug, was a wife, mother, and queen of the Celtic Iceni tribe, who led an uprising against the occupying forces of the Roman Empire. She died in 61 AD Britannia. A film bio about Boudicca's life, "Warrior Queen", was released in the US in 2003. (Not to be confused with Budokan near Tokyo where in 1979 Cheap Trick sang "I Want You to Want Me".)
3. A more recent example of a defiant wife, mother, and queen is Prussia's Queen Louise (1776-1810) who tried to defend her country against Napoleon's aggression. Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, a much beloved, iconoclastic monarch, became known as the Queen of Hearts. See link to biographic video above.
Editor: These three individuals refused to tacitly accept the external imperatives of an opposing army. Today's influences are more sinister and horrific because they are sometimes in the form of our friends and neighbors (that is, other owners) or people who say that they can "help us". Someone carrying a spear, bow, or other weapon and smelling from the heat of man-to-man combat would be more readily discernible as a foe. Condo ownership, like love, can be a battlefield.
Editor: The bottom line --- question anything that does not meet the standards of your good judgment. Owner beware!
Just say NO! to bad treatment by your board!
"Sunlight is the best disinfectant."
TRUTH MATTERS - INTIMIDATION DOESN'T
Condo associations are CASH COWS producing regular flows of large amounts of money with few controls attracting the unscrupulous (and the scrupulous) who seek to channel some of that flow to their own use. Thus, secrecy can increase the liklihood of defalcation or a large expense when a smaller would suffice if there are no cost controls in place or if there is poor project / contract management. (The constant repair of the brick steps is an example.) The difference could be skimmed or given as a kickback. Who's going to be the wiser? (Some property management companies apparently even have an interest in one or more vendors for the managed property.) So how does one get the answers to the TOUGH QUESTIONS especially when NO ONE is talking?
So, why does Queen Louise of Prussia, born in the same year as the US Declaration of Independence was signed by the Second Continental Congress, appear in a website purportedly about governing problems, especially relating to boards in condominium complexes?
Superficially, she refused to accept the imperatives of an external force. In a larger sense, her behavior exemplifies how one relates to and values his/her family, community, and surrounding environment in a positive fashion. Her qualities that I most admire are her spontaneity, playfulness, faithfulness, and a nurturing, loving, and caring nature.
Boards often give lip-service to the value of 'community', yet hypocritically act in a manner which destroys a feeling of community and solidarity and displays little respect for owners. Ironically, it is often the board members themselves, who violate the unwritten contract between owners and the board, who will blame others for the dissension which they create.